AM Best

AM Best Maintains Under Review with Developing Implications Status for Credit Ratings of Certain Assurant, Inc.’s Life Subs


Jeffrey Lane
Senior Financial Analyst
+1 908 439 2200, ext. 5567

Wayne Kaminski
Senior Financial Analyst
+1 908 439 2200, ext. 5061

Christopher Sharkey
Manager, Public Relations
+1 908 439 2200, ext. 5159

Jim Peavy
Director, Communications
+1 908 439 2200, ext. 5644


OLDWICK - MARCH 09, 2021 11:59 AM (EST)
AM Best has maintained the under review with developing implications status for the Financial Strength Ratings (FSR) of A- (Excellent) and the Long Term Issuer Credit Ratings (Long-Term ICR) of “a-” of American Memorial Life Insurance Company (American Memorial) (Rapid City, SD) and Assurant Life of Canada (ALOC) (Toronto, Canada). Concurrently, AM Best has maintained the under review with developing implications status for the FSR of B++ (Good) and the Long Term ICRs of “bbb” of Union Security Insurance Company (USIC) (Topeka, KS) and Union Security Life Insurance Company of New York (USLICNY) (Fayetteville, NY). These companies are subsidiaries of Assurant, Inc. (Assurant) [NYSE: AIZ].

The continuation of the under review with developing implications status reflects Assurant’s announcement on March 9, 2021, that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its preneed business and related entities and assets to CUNA Mutual Group. The purchase price is approximately $1.3 billion (approximately $1.2 billion of net proceeds). Among the entities included in the sale are: American Memorial; ALOC and USIC. However, USLICNY is not part of the transaction and will be retained by Assurant. The sale is expected to close by the end of the third quarter 2021. Assurant intends to return 75% of the net proceeds to shareholders through buybacks within 12 months of closing subject to board approval. The remaining 25% of the proceeds are expected to be used to fund investments, including acquisitions to enhance Assurant’s Connected world business and specialty property & casualty offerings.

The sale of this business will allow Assurant to focus on opportunities within its broader lifestyle and housing portfolio. Currently, the organization is a leader in the pre-funded funeral insurance and other preneed solutions in the United States and Canada. AM Best will continue to monitor these companies and their ratings are expected to remain under review pending the conclusion of the sale of the business to CUNA Mutual Group.

This press release relates to Credit Ratings that have been published on AM Best’s website. For all rating information relating to the release and pertinent disclosures, including details of the office responsible for issuing each of the individual ratings referenced in this release, please see AM Best’s Recent Rating Activity web page. For additional information regarding the use and limitations of Credit Rating opinions, please view Guide to Best’s Credit Ratings. For information on the proper media use of Best’s Credit Ratings and AM Best press releases, please view Guide for Media - Proper Use of Best’s Credit Ratings and AM Best Rating Action Press Releases.

AM Best is a global credit rating agency, news publisher and data analytics provider specializing in the insurance industry. Headquartered in the United States, the company does business in over 100 countries with regional offices in London, Amsterdam, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City.

Related Companies

For information about each company, including the Best's Credit Reports, group members (where applicable) and news stories, click on the company name. An additional purchase may be required.